Varicose veins are the blue gnarly veins which are seen sticking out from beneath the skin. It resembles bumpy cords. These are the superficial circulatory system where the blood is returned to the heart. These are seen in women especially during pregnancy, puberty or menopause. Those that are on birth control pills or are taking progesterone or estrogen are more prone to it. Even though -more women are found to suffer from this condition, it is not solely a condition which affects only women. Men suffer from it too. Common causes of varicose veins The common causes are usually when the person is stagnant in one position for long. It also is caused when the person is overweight or suffers from blood pressure problems or perhaps eats an unhealthy diet. Natural Cures Some of the natural cures are :
- Exercise – this helps to improve the blood circulation, keep the weight in control as well as to balance the hormones.
- Anti-inflammatory diet - certain foods improve the flow of blood. The foods which help are those rich in fibre. The person should eat at least 30 to 40 grams of fibre daily. This prevents constipation as well as bloating and decreases the pressure on the veins which are around the legs and in the abdomen. Foods which are high in fibre are flax seeds, fresh fruits, vegetables as well as grains and sprouted legumes.
- Antioxidant foods such as those which contain Vitamin E and Vitamin C should be consumed as it increases the strength of the walls and decreases inflammation. These foods also improve the health of arteries.
- Vitamin E prevents blood clotting, and vitamin C helps keep the skin healthy.
- Doctors recommend diuretic pills to decrease water retention and increase urination. The same effect can be had by consuming cilantro, parsley, Fennel, cucumber, celery, and asparagus.
- Those who are suffering from blood pressure problems, as well as leg cramps, usually suffer from a decrease in levels of magnesium and potassium. They should increase their intake of banana, avocados, cruciferous vegetables as well as sweet potatoes. This helps to increase the blood flow, and it also assists in weight control.
- Seafood and fish like mackerel, sardines as well as tuna are rich in Omega 3 acids which help the flow of blood.
- Apple cider vinegar is another ingredient to increase the circulation of blood, and it also works as an anti-inflammatory substance.
- Natural herbs such as chestnut are remedies which are used for chronic venous problems and even for those suffering from swelling of the ankle, pain, heaviness, nighttime cramps, itching as well as suffering from water retention, swelling, diarrhea or other skin related conditions. Around a hundred milligrams of horse chestnut should be taken once daily.